Major gas works: Tushmore roundabout and A23 Crawley Avenue
Southern Gas Networks (SGN) will be carrying out emergency repairs affecting Tushmore roundabout.
The works begin Monday, 18 November and will last for seven weeks. Please factor in delays particularly at peak times.
Urgent gas network upgrades on the Tushmore Gyratory roundabout and A23 Crawley Avenue, are required following recent emergency repairs in the area.
Given the condition of the nearby pipes SGN repaired, they now need to replace a section of old, metal gas mains with new plastic pipe to ensure a continued safe and reliable gas supply.
After careful consideration and consultation with West Sussex County Council, this project has been granted an emergency start on Monday 18 November and will last approximately seven weeks.
It will involve lane closures around the Ifield and Tushmore Gyratory roundabouts
These urgent gas network upgrades in three phases;
Phase one - Tushmore Gyratory roundabout
• To ensure everyone's safety SGN will need to reduce Tushmore Gyratory roundabout to one lane.
• SGN will also need to reduce A2011 westbound, A23 London Road southbound, A23 Crawley Avenue eastbound, A2219 London Road northbound to one lane, as all roads approach Tushmore Gyratory roundabout.
Phase two - Tushmore Gyratory roundabout and A23 Crawley Avenue
• SGN engineers will then begin upgrades on the A23 Crawley Avenue at its junction with Tushmore Gyratory roundabout.
• For everyone's continued safety around this work area, the eastbound carriageway of A23 Crawley Avenue will remain reduced to one lane on its approach to Tushmore Gyratory roundabout.
• Tushmore Gyratory roundabout, as well as the A2011 westbound, A23 London Road southbound and A2219 London Road northbound carriageways will be reduced to two lanes.
Phase three - Ifield roundabout and A23 Crawley Avenue
• SGN engineers will progress along A23 Crawley Avenue to carry out network upgrades near to Ifield Roundabout.
• For everyone's safety, the eastbound carriageway of the A23 Crawley Avenue will be reduced to one lane on its approach to Ifield Roundabout from Ifield Community College.
• SGN also need to reduce A23 Crawley Avenue eastbound to one lane between Ifield roundabout and Tushmore Gyratory roundabout.
The existing traffic lights and pedestrian crossings will remain in place during our project. The bus lane which runs north/south along the A23/A2219 London Road at Tushmore Gyratory roundabout will be unaffected by this work.